Friday, July 31, 2015

The 90's Are Back in Fashion

Today my post about fashion is a bit different than usual. First of all, I'm sharing a very personal picture with you *gasp.* I know, I know... but I think I was a pretty cute kid, plus, my post for today is about how our style grows and develops, but still tends to be influenced by our childhoods. Yeah, I know... there is no way in hell you'd put your hair in a side pony (see photo reference to your left) and butterfly clips or pull the bottom of your shirt through the neck so that you had a crop top like Selena and the Spice Girls; but subconsciously, maybe you wouldn't hate it that much.

As a matter of fact, 2014-2015 has seen an uprising in the 90's resurgence and I'm not talking the grunge fad that never seemed to leave, I'm talking the 90's we made fun of for 15 years. First thing's first... remember the beloved stirrup pants we had? We had them in some awesome colors and patterns that resembled a combination of Nickelodeon and the Fresh Prince. We would match them to our scrunchies and our light up Sketchers... Yeah, well, we cut the "stirrup" off and now we call them leggings. You heard me right. Leggings are just glorified stirrup pants without the convenience of looping around your foot so they stayed nicely in your boot (well, folded sock back then, but whatever). Now we're stuck with the same pant that doesn't even serve the purpose it did before... blasphemy! I say this only joking, I love me some leggings.

Next up, overalls! Hell yeah, I totally knew they'd be back! NOT! They look much cuter now then they did back then. We've learned how to cut them so that they are chic-er and more feminine but they are still the same ones that we all had to have after watching It Takes Two and Mary Kate and Ashley had them... don't kid yourself.

Cropped halter tops that look straight out of Joey's closet. Seriously... we're not only wearing them but we're pairing them with higher waisted jeans?? and we're cuffing them with sneakers??? Alright, so I love a great crop top... I also love a nice high-waisted jean...but when I see them combined the theme song of Friends starts playing in my head and I feel the need to watch Titanic. I'm still not sure if I like this particular uprising. I can't even tell you if I liked it when it was popular the first time.

This brings me to my next trend... high-waisted pants and shorts. Now, these have been around for ages but we saw a significant decline in the 2000's when we saw the rise of the visible thong (lets hope that doesn't resurface; keep them in your pants, ladies). However, they are popping up more and more now. Like I said before, I can dig a great high waist. I think if done properly they can be slimming, reserved and sexy. But now more than ever I'm seeing them paired with the crop tops I discussed above, chunky sweaters, 90's-esque printed t's and many other throwback ways. I feel that if done wrong it's a bit too much. If the only way I can tell your picture is current is by the filter... you might need to tone it down a smidge.

Alright, so there's my bit of fashion for the day. Oh, I have to share... as I was typing that last sentence... No Doubt's Don't Speak just started playing! Ha! Long Live the 90's...

Sunday Funday Link Up Party

No comments:

Post a Comment