Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Interview with Project Runway Fashion Designer - Samantha Plasencia

Bold, edgy and innovative are just three ways to describe the magnificent designs by Samantha Plasencia. This amazing talent has graciously allowed us to share in her story. You know Samantha from Lifetime's Project Runway. She got her start in San Antonio, TX and is now making her mark in the artsy city of Austin, TX. 

 Tell me about yourself... 
"My name is Samantha Plasencia. I'm 29 years old and currently reside in Austin, TX."

What inspired your love for fashion?
"It's something I've always enjoyed, being creative, standing out and doing your own thing."

Are there any designers that you admire? Who and why?
"I love McQueen and the story he tells. Fashion was more about art and that's what I love. I've currently started to do more RTW (ready to wear) which can cater to a wider audience. Alexander Wang has a unique style that I love. His runway shows are great, tell a story, but are not over the top."

Can you tell me a bit about your journey in fashion?
"I started sewing and learning design when I started college at 17. I was young and just dove in. I ended up having the best sewing and construction by the time we presented our collections our senior year. they gave out awards and showed my hard work and dedication paid off."

How do you describe your style?
"I love to do street wear that is still feminine. So you could wear sneakers or boots with the look and transition even into heels if you wanted. I focus on black and white with sometimes a pop of color."

Where do you find the most inspiration?
"I normally just come up with ideas on the random. I'm not one to just step outside or go to the park to get an idea.

Can you tell me a bit about your experience on Project Runway?
"Project Runway was great of course! I met some talented people and learned a lot while being there."

What has changed since the show?
"Since the show I've had more projects, shows and events so it keeps me busy and meeting new people all the time which I love."

What is the best advice you've received?
"Ask for forgiveness, not permission. Ken Downing told me that when I worked at Neimans in the visual department, it just stuck."

What advice would you give others?
"Always go after the things you dream and want. Hard work and dedication always win in the end. Also, to make a difference. Help, inspire, mentor!"

What are you currently working on?
"I'm currently working on an extension to my S/S 2015 collection to show in Austin on the 22nd. After that I will be in Santa Fe showing my Fall 2015 collection. When I get home I'll be working on my S/S 2016 collection for its debut in San Antonio in November. Also hats, the list goes on. Hope to see you there!"

Where can people find you and your work?
"My website is samanthaplasencia.com; links to my online shop are there and you can also like my fan page to keep up with fashion updates from events and shows at http://www.facebook.com/samantha.plasenciadesign.

Be sure and show her some love. Her work speaks for itself and we're honored to be able to showcase her as this weeks feature designer!



No comments:

Post a Comment