Saturday, August 15, 2015

Interview with the Australian Alternative Country singer TORI FORSYTH

I am a huge Stevie Nicks fan. So when I heard Tori Forsyth's unique, earthy, powerful cover of Rhiannon I was hooked! I looked into her music further and found that everything she does is amazing! I reached out to her about an interview and was fortunate that she said yes. I am honored to introduce to you... Tori Forsyth!


Tell us about yourself...
My name is Tori, I'm from the Hunter Valley Australia and I am an Alternative Country and Roots singer/songwriter!

What inspired you to become a musician?
Whether my dad was singing Elvis or my mum was blaring the 1997 Fleetwood Mac concert DVD, music was always around me and an outlet for me. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't until recently that my own music actually left the comfort of my bedroom. My inspiration to do music is probably the people around me who forced me to get over my fears and share my music with the world, I owe them all a lot. 

What musicians do you admire? Why?
Stevie Nicks taught me so much as a child and is still teaching me as a musician. Melanie Saftka made me fall in love with folk music and that's had a huge influence on my sound. Johnny Cash taught me how to tell a story. Dixie Chicks just made me fall in love with country music. Lastly, Kacey Musgraves taught me that my music doesn't have to appeal to everyone.

Can you tell me the story of your musical journey?
The idea of singing in front of people gave me nerves from hell as a kid. I've been having singing lessons since I was 13 and my singing teacher would always try to get me involved in studio concerts but I think in my head I would talk myself into being sick or finding a way out because I was just so nervous, the odd one I would do I loved it though as much as it terrified me. This went on for years until I reached a point where I was doing things that weren't making me happy and the only thing that did was me singing in my bedroom or in the car or whatever. So I had an opportunity to completely focus on my music and it has literally changed my life, and here I am. 

Do you have a favorite song that you love to listen to on repeat, sing in the shower or cover? Or maybe a song that has impacted you more than any other?
I think I've listened to Edge of 17 by Stevie Nicks over 2 million times, my feel good song and gets me through any rough day.

What are you working on right now?
Right now I am working on my EP and recording in September. I am super duper excited and have some incredible people working on it with me. It's called "Black Bird" and will probably be released late October or early November. Keep a look out!

What is the best advice you were ever given?
All over my mirror I have my favorite affirmations and two of them are:
"I am committed to my goals and embrace uncertainty" -- Leon Nacson
"I have the ability to accomplish any task I set my mind to with ease and comfort" -- Wayne W. Dyer

They aren't advice as such but they are what get me through every day; especially when I have doubts about anything to do with my music.

What advice would you give others?
I'm still learning and growing as an artist so I'm not exactly a wise old owl in this area haha, but I would tell anyone who's in a similar position I was that, it does get easier and if you love it enough, don't wait; just do it and throw yourself into it as soon as you can.

Where can we find you and your music? 
Instagram: http://websta.me/n/toriforsythmusic (@toriforsythmusic)


There is one thing I look for in a new artist, uniqueness. I want to hear someone sing with passion, with heart... and that's what Tori gives. With every note she hits, she pulls at your emotions and does so with finesse and an earthiness that gives me chills. When I found out that she admired Stevie Nicks, Johnny Cash, the Dixie Chicks and Kacey Musgraves it all clicked. She is an original and just like those artists did, she pushes through the stereotype of her genre and paves her own way. It's refreshing! Be sure to be on the lookout for her album "Blackbird" and follow her on social media to hear her wonderful covers!

No comments:

Post a Comment